Residents who wish to complete a room swap must contact Housing to initiate the process.
A room swap is when two residents mutually agree to swap living spaces. Room swap requests may be submitted for any reason and are subject to approval by Columbia Housing. Residents should not move until the swap has been approved.
- A Columbia student may not swap with a Barnard student, regardless of where the rooms are located.
- Swaps must be approved by Residential Life and Housing, and both departments reserve the right to deny swaps.
- Students must be in the same class standing.
- Only one swap per academic year is allowed.
- Room keys should not be exchanged between students participating in a room swap. Key exchanges can only take place at the Hartley Hospitality Desk.
- Students who fail to return their hard key will be charged $15 for key replacement and $50 for a lock change.
- If students offer or solicit a room for reward, gain, or through coercion, the swap or transfer will be voided and students will be subject to Dean’s Discipline.
- Students must occupy the rooms for which they have contracted and sign their Occupancy Agreement. If either student does not physically move within 24-48 hours of the timeframe provided in the relocation information from Housing, the swap will be voided.
- Students who have cancelled their housing application cannot participate in a room swap.
- There will be no room swaps scheduled during Winter Break. All moves must take place before the Winter Break period.
Room Swap Request Process
- Students should contact Housing to initiate a room swap.
- If the room swap request is approved, Housing will send instructions to the students for relocating.
Fall Term Request Timeline
Residents can submit a Room Swap request at any time during the fall.
Spring Term Request Timeline
If you wish to swap rooms before Winter Break, you must submit your request by November 27 and move rooms by December 22.
Requests received after December 6 will need to be resubmitted at the start of spring semester.