Starting AY 23-24, Hartley will be mostly sophomores with some first-years on one or more floors. Hartley provides convenient access to Columbia Dining locations, Columbia Health offices, the south lawns, and shops and restaurants near campus.
Building Fast Facts
- John Jay Dining Hall, JJ's Place, and Columbia Health Medical Services are located in close proximity
- Expansive views of Morningside Campus and the historic Harlem neighborhood
- Located in the heart of campus
- Columbia Housing office and Hospitality Desk are located within Hartley
- Faculty-in-Residence: Professor Kymissis, Department of Electrical Engineering
- An opportunity for sophomores to live almost exclusively with their class
- Suites are duplexes
Room Selection Data
Academic Year 2023-2024 will be the first year that Hartley will be available for sophomores during Room Selection. As such, there is no available data.
- Housing Rate:
- Either First-Year or Upperclass Rates depending on class of student.
- Entrance location:
- Inside campus between 115th and 116th Streets
- Number of residential floors:
- Single/Double Rooms:
- 158 singles / 36 doubles
- Air Conditioning:
- Bathroom Style:
- Semi-private within suite
- Cleaning Responsibility & Schedule:
- Bathrooms: Twice weekly by Facilities
Kitchens: Resident responsibility
Trash & Recycling: Residents are responsible for disposing of their waste in the trash chutes (small bags of trash) by staircases Z & W or the bins (larger items and recycling) in the lounges
- Bedrooms are a mix of hard surface and carpet
Common areas in suites are carpeted
- All rooms are furnished
- Type of Room Lock:
- Hard key lock
- Bike Storage:
- Not available. See the list of bike storage locations in our residence halls.
- Clothing Donation Bin:
- Located in the Hartley/Wallach laundry room
- Computer Lab & Print Station:
- Available on the first floor
- Fitness Room:
- Not available. See the list of fitness center locations in our residence halls.
- Free laundry facility in basement. Laundry room is shared with Wallach Hall.
- One private kitchen per suite, no refrigerator available.
- A large building lounge with a game room (pool and ping pong) is available on the first floor
A study lounge is located on the 10th floor
Each suite has common area equipped with TV
What Former Residents Say:
"Hartley is not only a nice place to live, but has a convenient location. Just downstairs in the lobby is the Hartley Hospitality Desk, a CUIT computer lab, and a lounge with pool and ping pong tables! In addition, it only takes two minutes to get to classes in Hamilton."