A resident’s Occupancy Agreement is effective upon signature and submission to the Housing Portal and is binding until the resident has completed Check-out as provided in the Occupancy Agreement. However, under certain circumstances, Columbia Housing permits the termination of the Occupancy Agreement and thus the cancellation of housing, as set forth in the Occupancy Agreement.
- Returning students may cancel their request to live on campus for the fall term up until room assignment with no fee.
- First-Year students may cancel their request to live on campus for the fall term up until Check-In with no fee.
- Cancellation fees will be assessed as outlined below.
- Cancellations can be requested via the Housing Portal as detailed at the bottom of this page.
- Please note: International students who are approved and assigned housing, but experience delays due to travel or visa issues will not be assessed a cancellation fee.
Cancellation Schedule & Rates
- December 22
- January 11
- Housing Application
- January 11
- No Fee**
- January 11
- February 23
- Post February 23
- No refund
*Students in housing for Fall 2023
**Spring 2024 Incoming Students
- Application deadline: April 30
- Charges will be processed on May 1
- No refunds after May 1
- Application deadline: June 14
- Charges posted on June 15
- Application deadline: July 31
- Charges will be processed on August 1
- No refunds after August 1
A resident who wants to terminate their Occupancy Agreement must complete the cancellation step in the Housing Portal and complete the requirements for Check-Out. The resident will continue to be charged for occupancy until the date on which check out is complete and Housing has received the cancellation notice. Please note that notice of withdrawal, or cancellation of admission or registration to other University offices does not constitute notice of cancellation to Housing. In addition to the pro-rated room charge, cancellation fees may apply.
Cancellation fees will be waived for required military service, medical leave of absence, withdrawal or graduation from the University, and Housing may waive fees at its discretion. Learn more about leaves of absence.
Students must cancel housing through the Housing Portal.
- Log into the Housing Portal
- Select the Housing application to be cancelled (e.g., academic year, summer)
- Choose “cancel application" from the drop-down menu
- Sign and agree to the cancellation terms