Service Requests


Maintenance and custodial requests for all Columbia Housing residence halls and brownstones are managed by Columbia University Facilities and Operations.


Service Requests for maintenance or custodial work in Columbia Housing Undergraduate residence halls and brownstones must be submitted to Facilities and Operations. 

Residents should submit a Service Request online. When a Service Request is placed, a Work Order (WO) number and Service Request (SR) number are produced. Housing recommends that students retain the WO and SR numbers for reference. Emergency requests should not be submitted online; please follow the steps in the Emergency Service Requests section below to report emergencies.

How to Create a Service Request

  1. Visit the Housing homepage and select “Submit a Service Request"
  2. Login with your UNI
  3. Select your building and room details
  4. Describe your issue
  5. Submit
    • TIP: Keep your WO# and SR# for reference
  6. Most requests are resolved within 72 hours but may take up to 14 business days
  7. Contact the Hartley Hospitality Desk if you have trouble placing the Service Request online.

To report a service emergency, please contact the Facilities and Operations Call Center at 212-854-2222. Do not place emergency requests online as this will delay the response. If Facilities and Operations cannot be reached, please contact Public Safety at 212-854-5555.

Emergency situations include, but are not limited to:

  • Window cannot close
  • Room door malfunction: cannot be secured or will not open
  • Fires
  • Floods/major leaks
  • No light in room and temporary light is unavailable
  • Power failure
  • Stolen keys
  • Clogged or overflowing toilet
  • No heat
  • The smell of gas

Residents who are responsible for cleaning their suite or apartment bathroom may request cleaning supplies through a Service Request

Bathroom cleaning supplies are only available to residents of select buildings. Learn more about cleaning responsibility on your building's webpage