The Winter Break period runs from the last Friday of exams of fall semester through the Thursday prior to the start of the spring semester.
Eligibility to Remain in Columbia Housing Over Winter Break
Residents are only eligible for Winter Break housing if they are in housing for both the fall and spring semesters of the academic year.
Residents withdrawing, studying abroad during the spring semester, or graduating in February are not eligible for Winter Break housing and are expected to complete the Cancellation and Check-Out steps in the Housing Portal. Students returning from a fall study abroad experience, new spring visiting students, and those students readmitted for spring semester may not move in until the date announced by Housing.
Residents who leave should remember to do the following prior to departure:
- Dispose of all garbage in your room/suite properly, especially perishable items in your refrigerator.
- Close and lock all windows and security gates. Lock your door when you leave.
- Remove any flammable items from radiators/heating units.
- Remove all cash and valuables from your room.
- Notify family and friends of your intended whereabouts and contact information during the break.
- Unplug all appliances, including microwaves, fans, alarm clocks, and chargers.
- Turn off your lights when you leave.
Services During Winter Break
Residents are responsible for knowing that resources are structured differently during Winter Break and that the Guest Policy is modified during this period.
- Occupancy is minimal during Winter Break; residents should take safety and security precautions by locking room/suite doors at all times and learning which friends/neighbors plan to remain on-campus.
- Public Safety is available 24/7 by calling 4-5555 from a residence hall phone or 212-854-5555 from a cell phone, for emergencies, or 212-854-2797 for non-emergencies.
- RAs are not on-duty during Winter Break. There are Residential Hall Directors (RHDs) on call throughout Winter Break. Public Safety will assist residents in contacting the appropriate staff member on-duty if necessary.
- Guests can be signed in at the residence hall front desk and MUST be escorted at all times. A resident may sign-in no more than one guest at a time during Winter Break.
- The Wallach Hall front desk will close during Winter Break. All residents and guests entering Wallach must do so through Hartley or John Jay Hall. All other residence hall desks remain open during Winter Break.
- Facility Emergencies: Contact the Call Center at 212-854-2222.
- VIA On Demand Evening Shuttle: Please visit: On Demand Evening Shuttle Service for more information.
For after-hours medical concerns, call 212-854-7426. For after-hours mental health care, call 212-854-2878. For immediate medical or psychiatric care, students may also go directly to Mount Sinai Morningside Hospital ER located at 114th Street and Amsterdam Avenue (212-523-3347).